As the list goes on. the e-waste is also a million tonnes per year. governing bodies of many developed nations are moving towards Eco-friendly innovative set-ups. The European Union is also in a race for these environmentally friendly initiations. The most exciting one is the universal cable changer for all kinds of devices.
What is a Universal cable charger?
It is a new rule of the European Union, which says that all devices like mobile phones, cameras, and all other small electronic devices should have the same charger excess that is a universal charger. In specific USB-C charger.
Most common charging connections using in general:
- USB micro
- USB C
General Serve: Around half of the chargers sold with mobile phones in the European Union in 2018 had a USB micro-B connector, while 29% had a USB C connector and 21% a Lightning connector, a Commission impact assessment study in 2019 found.
What all comes under this rule:
Handheld video game consoles
Other products including earbuds, smart-watches, and fitness trackers were not considered for technical reasons linked to the size and use conditions.
issue with Apple.
Apple, which already uses USB-C connectors on some of its iPads and laptops, insists legislation to force a universal charger for all mobiles in the EU is unwarranted.
Also, it said that We remain concerned that strict regulation mandating just one type of connector stifles innovation rather than encouraging it, which in turn will harm consumers in Europe and around the world,
As Apple is using the Lightning connector as a major charging device, this law is more concern for Apple.
Opposition to the new rule:
- Industries arguing that phones already in use with a legacy charging cable will lose their resale value if they cannot be replaced, and add to the glut of digital waste.
- Arguing not satisfied with 24 monthly transition period and want at least 2 years to get all set.
- Environmentalists welcomed this law wholeheartedly, as it is an Eco-friendly law.
- Effective waste reduction innovation.
- EU consumer group ANEC cautiously welcomed the proposal but urged that the plan be expanded to wireless charging systems, which are increasingly being adopted by phone makers.
Do you want this Universal charger solution in India?